Sep 1, 2013

FOOD FARE: Featuring Kyushoku!

Fish 'n chips at Nanao's Fisherman's Wharf.

Your average 給食 kyushoku (school lunch): rice, milk, seaweed salad, meat or fish cake, and soup.

Curry rice with in-season summer vegetables and a soft-boiled egg.

Lemon ramen. I've had this before, and this time I ordered alone. The woman who owns the small restaurant and I got on well between the few words we knew in each other's languages. When she went to serve my dish, she added in extra lemons. "Service," she said, which in Japanese-English translates to "on the house."

Not your average kyushoku - it's actually enough to fill me up! This buffet-style lunch was eaten at the Hakui English Camp. I volunteered there for two days to give an interactive presentation on Shakespeare. What an awesome experience - more to come about it.




----

No comments:

Post a Comment