Mar 12, 2014

FOOD FARE: It's BURI Season!!

The best hot chocolate in the Noto made with hand-whipped whip cream.

Life is uncertain - eat dessert first. Olivia and I shared fruity desserts at Wakura's popular Le Musee de H.

Buri nabe shabu-shabu!!!
Buri nabe was one of the best meals I've had in Japan, hands down. Olivia, Mr. C, and I bought freshly caught buri (yellowtail). It's in season right now because the fish is fattiest during the winter. Mr. C has been raving about in-season buri since I first arrived in Nanao, and it didn't disappoint. We made nabe (soup in a hotpot) that we dipped the fish and vegetables in. This cooking process is called shabu-shabu for the sound the food makes when it swishes in the water.

Sometimes I really miss pizza, but it's just not the same. I do like this restaurant for their nomihodai (all-you-can-drink) tea and coffee bar--thus the strawberry latte.

A cucumber, seaweed, mayonnaise salad (because mayonnaise goes on everything here). This was the starter to a memorable dinner with my auto insurance guy and some friends at a cool post-war themed restaurant.




----

No comments:

Post a Comment