Dec 16, 2014

The Worst Part of Traveling

from The Princess Bride
This week I don't have a lot of adventures to share because I spent most of my time either at a clinic or in bed recovering. What put me out of commission was a GEA infection, also known as gastroenteritis, food poisoning, or, locally, "Bali Belly."

This is the third time in my life I've suffered from this (and my last, please!). The foreign bacteria in the local food is usually manageable, but it multiplied due to dehydration and exhaustion (my fault), and caused increasing abdominal pain. The solution? An overnight stay at a medical clinic with an IV hooked under the skin of my right hand.

The whole episode has made me very... thankful. I'm thankful for my good health, when I have it, and the ability to recover when I'm sick... Someday I'll be old and I won't be able to so easily. I'm thankful for the wonderful, good-hearted family of the Suastika Guesthouse who drove me to the clinic at night, made me rice porridge for every meal until I regained my strength, and generally kept my spirits up. I'm so lucky I was under their good care when I became sick.

I missed out on the last few days of yoga classes, but in a way I think that's fitting, too. Focusing on my body these last two weeks, I was now reminded of its limitations, and how easily your health can just be wiped away! No one knows how much time they have before sickness, old age, and death overcome them. What are we doing with our health while it's still glowing strong from within us?

I'm going to keep going.



~ ~ ~

No comments:

Post a Comment